Monday, May 18, 2009

Lance says that the introduction is the best part of any cookbook - their love for food and motivation to cook is hard to duplicate.  Instead of attempting my own introduction, I did what any self-respecting, slightly lazy Harrison would do; I copied real intros and pasted them below.  To avoid any hassle with copyright law, and any school expulsions for plagiarism, I've included the reference. enjoy

Food is a central part of our lives.  It provides the body with fuel and raw materials for maintenance growth and repair.  It draws together family and friends anchors celebrations and rites of passage, and sometimes soothes the soul.  It has the power to heal, and also to harm.   the Joy of Cooking

Baking is my favorite culinary activity because at heart, it is based on mythology.  Mysterious events occur in the oven that are beyond our ability to either observe or understand.  And this leads to the whole sale creation of baking folklore that attempts to explain what cannot directly be understood.    ATK (america's test kitchen) Family Baking Book

"Haughty cuisine" - fancy food - is best left to restaurants.  Home cooking is best when it is simple, straightforward, unpretentious and easy.  
Our exposure to ultra sophisticated cooking- whether at restaurants, in cookbooks, or on television, sometimes makes us forget how wonderful simple food can be.  Everyday cooking is not about striving for brilliance but about preparing good wholesome tasty varied meals for the ones you love.  This is a fundamentally satisfying pleasure.  Your results need not be perfect to give you this gift to which all humans are entitled.  How to Cook Everything

So, have at it, and don't forget restaurants and recipes, cooking failures and favorites, anything to do with food. 
anyone who wishes to be an author, shot me an email, reneelharrison@gmail.com



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the invite sister, and is that the leaning tower of pizza picture up there? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad someone finally started this!! And I can't believe I made it in the first picture. At first glance I thought it was going to be the usual (A picture of all you kids in Utah having fun without me) but then I noticed I was in it. WHAT?! I had to double check that is WAS me. What a fun time we had in San Diego!

    ReplyDelete