Wednesday, May 27, 2009

i love pepper jack

Let me give renee' a shout out for how awesome this blog all ready is, and how great it's going to become. Matt did do some urging for me to get my idea rolling, but nothing ever came of it, i'm very busy people, and a bit on the lackadaisical side, so thanks renee'.

I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate this blog than to post one of my favorite recipes: it's super fast, super delicious, and i happened to create it myself. Now, i know i'm one of the worst cooks in this fam, so i'm open to suggestions on improving my recipes, just give it to me straight people.

I made this tonight, starting at 11:11, and was eating by 11:30, plus i wasted quite a bit of time once it was finished...so here it is:
creamy pepperjack spaghetti with peas

1/3 lbs. spaghetti
1 cup WHOLE (or whatever you have you gross blue water drinkers) milk, half n'half, or cream
peas
salt, pepper, a little rosemary, a lot of parsley, a small shake of red pepper flakes
2 slices pepperjack cheese
1-2 cloves minced garlic

I cook for myself so 1/3 lbs of pasta is what i make which is a pretty big serving, for that amount i've found just less than about a cup of sauce is perfect. I don't measure any of these ingredients so just throw it all in a pan, take out what you don't want and add what you do want in terms of spices. This recipe turns out a perfectly spicy creamy sauce. I like using half and half for the sauce, but you can use milk too, if you do use milk, start it off with 1 tablespoon butter melted and cook 1 tablespoon flour into it for a roux, then add the milk and as soon as it starts boiling it will thicken right up. Using half n' half or cream, just throw it all together and simmer it until the consistency makes you happy. Just keep tasting and smelling and basically do whatever you want, it'll turn out great. One last thing: I add the peas at the very end, warm them up in the simmering sauce, turn the heat off and add the cheese. Boiling it with the cheese in there has messed things up for me before, so don't mess with it. Save some of that pasta water to loosen the sauce if it gets too thick.

I love this sauce because it is so fast and so good, plus you can make it in about a thousand variations: use any cheese you want, i've used cheddar, parmesan, and pepperjack, whatever i have. Plus, i always have the ingredients because they are so basic. Sometimes i don't have pepperjack, but I always have parmesan and that is what the beloved alfredo is made with anyway. You better all make this soon...

4 comments:

  1. Looks great brother! I think you made that for me once, it was really good if I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. me and jamie did make it! minus peas, plus penne! it was nice and hot

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sister, I think you should change the comment format so it pops up in another window, so much easier if you want to keep reading. Call me and I will tell you how if you want. Love the blog though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this today brother, it turned out great, I just wish that I would have had some peas to put in it, oh well, something to look forward to for next time.

    ReplyDelete